Tags

, , , , , ,

This was the 45th day of construction, and since it was Saturday, I was the only one working.  I think you’ll agree, though, that I deserve to count it as a day building Narnia!

I got four of these decorative wood pieces at Hobby Lobby, then stained them with the same stain as the berths, followed by two coats of polyurethane.  The final step was applying the Rub ‘n Buff, also from Hobby Lobby.  They will decorate the sides of the berths when we get them built.

Adding the finishing touch to the ceiling light in The Lodge was a simple as climbing on a ladder.  I stuffed the light into the fish basket, then hung the basket from the chain with an S-hook.  Voila!  My version of Pottery Barn’s $99 light fixture for well less than half the price.

You may remember this lion corbel from Van Dykes’ Restorers.  When I first bought him, I thought Ben would be building a faux wardrobe, and I called him “The Wardrobe Lion,” thinking he would be the ornament on top.  Once Stuart recommended that I buy an actual wardrobe, I decided to put this handsome Aslan inside Narnia above where the Wardrobe opens into the room.  Two coats of stain and two coats of poly, and Aslan’s ready and waiting to be hung in place.

Most of my day was spent finishing The Lodge.

Well, not quite “finishing” since Ben isn’t finished nailing all the logs up–but I’ll let you peek, anyway!

This was lots harder than staining the berths, and the door was pretty tricky, too.  This Olympic Maximum Stain & Sealant Semi-Transparent wood protector from Lowe’s gives a mildew-resistant, water-resistant stain.  It’s meant for decks, and I imagine that would be fairly straight-forward.  Putting it on vertical walls with lots of joints and corners and edges was a whole different matter!  It’s meant to go on in one thin coat, but I found that a thin coat was impossible to brush on.  So I brushed one log at a time, then wiped it back with a lint-free rag.  I’m happy with the end result, but after two days of working on this, my right arm is about dead!

The door was extremely tricky, but so is staining a door.  There’s a certain amount of technique to always brush on and wipe off in the direction of the grain of each panel of the door.  A little at a time is definitely the way to go, along with frequent stirring of the product.  And have more clean rags on hand than you think you’ll need, because you’ll still need more!

One tip I learned is, don’t kick the bucket!  I mean, don’t accidentally kick your bucket of stain and flip the stirring stick out.

This is what happens when you do.  Of course it happened to the hall side of the door that is supposed to be stained with Minwax.  And Olympic Maximum does NOT come off once it’s on!  I’ll see if some sanding will help and hope my English Chestnut color is dark enough to hide a few sins.

This was the first wall I did.  Right after it went on I wasn’t too happy with the color, but I trusted the process–which means, stain a sample of the actual wood you’ll be staining, and then trust your choice!

The final task of the day (and a fun treat after the door!) was staining the wooden switch-plate covers I got at Ace Hardware of Chickamauga.  They need some poly, but they were a nice way to end my day.

One final thing I did before creeping painfully down the stairs to wash my brush was to check out the light coming in through the window of Mimi’s Cave.

Ahh, now that’s a view to warm the heart of a weary worker!  (And remind her that she needs to clean the windows!)

Advertisements