Tags

, , , , , ,

Jim & Monique and the GKs were coming for the weekend, so I wanted to get all the curtains done in Narnia.  I wanted the kids to have a quiet, darkish place for naps and a fun curtain to hide behind for play.

DSC_6774

The first step was to collect my supplies for the stenciling job:  the stencil I ordered from Your Memories Captured on Etsy; spray adhesive from Hobby Lobby; gold stencil spray from Hobby Lobby; paper towels; masking tape (you know what that looks like!)

DSC_6775

Here’s a closer look at the stencil.

DSC_6776

I used printer paper to make a large paper frame around the stencil and taped it all together.  This is to prevent over-spray.  When everything was ready, I sprayed a light coat of spray adhesive on the back of the stencil and part of the paper around it.

DSC_6781

Next, I marked the center of my curtain by pressing a small crease in with my fingers, then laid the curtain out on my work surface.  I put several paper towels under the curtain, and using a marker, I marked the paper towel where the center of the curtain hit.

DSC_6778

Then I put lengths of paper towels all around the printer paper shield, covering all of the exposed curtain.

DSC_6779After thoroughly shaking the can of gold stencil paint, I sprayed it evenly over the stencil until I was happy with the amount of paint I had applied.

Here’s where I have give you a warning to learn from my mistake!  See that thick layer of paint puddled on top of the stencil?  Well, I didn’t think anything of it and excitedly peeled my stencil off to see how it had turned out, and the liquid paint splattered onto my curtain.  😦

DSC_6782 I was able to get most of it off with a damp paper towel, but I learned that an extra step was necessary.

DSC_6783

From then on, I took a doubled-over paper towel and gently blotted the excess paint from the stencil; often it was necessary to blot even more around the edges or on the stencil itself or on the paper shield.  But I had no further splatter problems!

DSC_6785

Once the stencil was finished, I gave it a few minutes to dry to the touch while I did the other curtain panel of the pair.

DSC_6787

Next it was time to hang the curtains.  I used 7 clip rings per panel.  One went in the center and two at the ends.  That left me with two rings to divide between half of the panel.  I measured from center to end, and it was exactly 24″.  That meant that I put a ring at 8″ and another at 16″–and the rings were spaced perfectly enough to please the most CDO of OCD personalities!  (CDO is like OCD, but it’s alphabetized!)

DSC_6790

I may bore you with my numerous shots of the curtains hanging, but I was SO excited at how they turned out (and I just told my OCD side that the splatters on the first curtain are proof that they are hand-made!)  Here’s one in the darkened room with the reading light on inside.  You can see that this kid’s light will never bother his or her sibling in the next berth.

DSC_6793

Here’s what they look like in the light.

DSC_6798

And a close-up of my crown.

DSC_6825

Here are both the curtains on the girls’ side where the berths are longer.

DSC_6826

And here are the curtain fashion options on the boys’ side: both open or just one side open.

DSC_6827

And a final look at the curtains with Aslan gazing on approvingly from the open curtains of his tent.

Advertisements